Thursday, April 16, 2015

Planning for a Pan America road-trip (Part 5)

Part 5 Updates:

I am currently scheduled to start this journey on Aug 24 2015. If that fails, it will be Aug 2016.
I managed to get a hold of someone from Airstream and they contacted me to find out more about how they can offer help. I responded with a proposal and I am looking forward to hearing from them.

really stoked when someone from Air Stream actually read my email 

Kindness Matters:
Hustling isn't fun but its great whenever a kind person read your emails and decide to forward it to the relevant contact.. So yes ... Even if Leica won't spot me a camera, I am absolutely delighted that they have looked into my proposal :)


Leica were really nice and forwarded my email to the person in charge


Meanwhile, I also decided to go ahead and plan out a trip without anyone's support.
After numerous emails with insurance companies, my friend, Jinji finally found one that would cover a foreigner (me). The game plan is for him to buy a used Van, (on my behalf) and have his insurance cover my usage when I am there. Another great friend, Scott Stewart who remodels vintage cars agred to help me remodel this used Van. My budget is a little short of USD$6000 for the vehicle and he says it was possible.

Here's what I will need on this Van:
  • Stealth capabilities so that I won't be harassed by the police. A Cargo van without windows would be ideal
  • Potty solution for number 1 & 2
  • Insulation from cold (thermal sleeping bags) and ventilation when its hot
  • A sleeping quarter.
  • Storage for half sized, full sheet watercolor paper. A2 or larger. 
  • Storage for pigment, brushes and easels
  • Storage for dry food , water and clothing
  • Extensible shelter from the outside of the Van. (best to be reflecting white/neutral)
  • Simple kitchen (preferably outside of van)/ simple cooking set up (toaster, boiling water and clean water to clean stuff/utensils)
  • Simple set up for workstation and laptop 
  • Possible surveillance system (CCTV)
  • Solar energy to charge and power computer/cell phone and all electrical appliants
  • Internet connection on the road
  • Some abilities to air dry laundry on the exterior of the Van. 
  • First aid kit
  • Not sure if I need a propane heating system, If i do,  I will need a carbon monoxide detector
I researched extensively on a bunch of people who lived in Vans and found this amazing stealth van configured by Dan's Travel. Everything in his van was meticulously thought off
My plan is to check into a hotel, once every few days. (Clean up and do laundry)
Hopefully I can limit myself to less than 15 hotel visits through out the 50 days. ( I am sure some of my friends will be able to help me out in the various states they are in)


Check out Dan's Van below. Its a total masterpiece !

Defiantly need power units. Will be great to draw power from polar panels

Not sure if this is totally necessary but its a great idea to know whats going on outside

Great extensible shelter outside of van. I can totally Plein Air in comfort with this.
His potty system under the cabin seems ideal. 
First aid kit


He managed to set up ventilation fans on this guy, Solar panels on top too






Well, if that's not inspiring enough, Check out this Daniel Norris, a millionaire pitcher who lives in his Van. VW happens to my dream car. You heard that right, I don't even like sports car..
Yup, I am kind of a a hippy inside. Super talent with a ripped body and millions without giving two craps. #realbadass

No comments:

Post a Comment